Deep down inside all of us, is this yearning to live life successfully, to make our lives count. We want to not only make a difference, but we also want to live lives that are fruitful and filled with purpose.
But somewhere along the way, life gets hectic. And when life gets hectic, we tend to focus on just getting through the day, rather than taking stock of what changes need to be made in order to live life successfully, right now.
Today I want to encourage you to see the 5 small things that you can start doing now so that you can be successful in life.
- Take time to be still and quiet with God: I know you’ve heard this time and time again, but honestly, this is SO vital to you experiencing success in life. This time with God will allow you to see things from His perspective. For many of us, we have worries, concerns and questions that we desperately want answers to. The best way to get answers to those life challenges is by spending time with God. No, you may not get an answer right away, but I can guarantee you that the more time you spend with God, the more He will work in your heart to give you an answer that is followed by His peace. Even if everything around you is chaotic.
- Have a routine in place: Like many of you, I enjoy times of adventure and spontaneity, but at the same time, routine keeps me sane and allows me to live a life of success. At our house, we have routines. Routines regarding bedtime, wake-up time, morning duties, nightly duties, when I exercise, who’s cooking dinner, who’s cleaning up, when I do laundry, when I clean the house, when Liam completes his homework, when I make time to meet with others, work hours, etc. It’s these routines that allow me to focus my time and attention on certain things that in turn, allow my family and I to be successful in all areas of life.
- Take time to exercise: In the last 3 ½ years, I have come to realize the importance behind this “sacred” time. Regular, consistent exercise has changed so many things for me. It not only helps with stress, but it gives me my much needed self-care time, it allows me to meet with people outside of my “circle” and it has made me stronger, not just physically, but emotionally too. In my book, this is a MUST for everyone. Whether you join a gym like me (I quickly learned that in order to be successful in this area, I had to have a place to go to) or go outside and get your exercise in, make this a priority. It will change SO many things in your life!
- Surround yourself with positive people: This is one that in recent years, I have come to realize the value of. In the past, I would take on the “issues” and negativity of other people. So much so that it would in turn, affect me. Not any more. I’ve come to realize that there is only so much I can do and if people get upset or respond in a way where they are trying to place the blame or responsibility on me for something that isn’t mine, then I have to move on. And honestly, I’ve learned the truth behind, “hurt people hurt people.” When someone tries to put their “stuff” on you, it’s because they are hurting. I can offer my prayers and love to them, but ultimately, I don’t have to take on the blame and hurt for something that they are walking through. And it’s the same for you. To live successfully, you have to choose whom you will surround yourself with.
- Know your priorities for this season of life: Lastly, this one is so very important. As a go-getter and achiever, I tend to want everything to happen right now. But in recent years, God has clearly shown me that there is a season for everything. And because of that, I’ve learned to live my life in “seasons.” There may be something I really want to accomplish, but now is not the right season for it. Realizing this has released SO MUCH pressure off of my life. Knowing that yes, there are things I want to do and accomplish, but it doesn’t have to happen right now. When I know what my priorities are for this season of life, I can then be successful because I only have to focus on what it is that God has called me to right now. Nothing else.
“A committed woman learns to choose what she wants most over what she wants now.” Unknown
It can be SO easy for us to lose our focus when bright, new shiny objects come our way; things that will satisfy what we want now. And though at the time we may think those things will bring us success, the reality is, they will just bring more chaos to our lives.
It’s not always easy waiting for God’s perfect timing to take place over those things that we want most and those things that we believe He has placed in our hearts. But I can tell you, it is SO worth it!
Today, take some time to really consider how you can make changes to your life starting today (start with the 5 things above) so that you too can live a life of success!